Friday, October 13, 2006

Brrr!

The computer connection is really slow here right now.  That could be due to the extremely cold weather we're having today.

This morning when we woke up it was about 33 degrees outside.  We had brought in all the plants that were sitting on the front porch so they wouldn't freeze.  Some of them were easy to handle because they were smaller, but there are a couple (Mr. Big Tree and The Ficus) that are very heavy and hard to move. 

Mr. Big Tree is a schefflera.  Sometimes they are called Umbrella Trees.  He is a very tall plant and not very bushy.  He is taller than me!  He has leaves on the very top, and a long skinny stem/trunk (I can't think of it as a trunk because I don't think it is thick enough).

The Ficus is a tree called a Weeping Fig.  Its scientific name is Ficus benjamina.  It is a very pretty tree, but it is about four and a half feet across, and very hard to get through the door without ripping a bunch of leaves off of the sides of the tree.

We also had to bring in two Peace Lilies, my Jasmine, a Orange Thyme and a Heliotrope.  Now, in addition to the planters and plants that came from Mamaw's funeral, this house looks almost like a flower shop!

The giant Peace Lily that you sent is doing really well in the guest room and has even flowered since we brought it down here.  I also have a violet, another mixed planter, and a dieffenbechia in that room.  It seems to be the one that gets the most light and is the best for the plants.  I think all the other rooms are too dark.

If I can get the camera to cooperate next week, I will take some pictures around the house and post them so you can see what some of the rooms look like.

Hope you all are doing well, and I can't wait to hear from you again!



No comments: